Growing up in the Southeastern U.S.,mbananas were both an exotic fruit and an everyday staple of snacks, desserts, and lunches. It was unheard of to go to a restaurant buffet and not see a generous portion of Banana Pudding with alternating golden circles of cookies and banana slices.
Here are some fun facts about Bananas from http://www.eatmorebananas.com:
- Bananas are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber.
- Bananas have no fat, cholesterol or sodium.
- Bananas are great for athletic and fitness activity because they replenish necessary carbohydrates, glycogen and body fluids burned during exercise.
- There is no such thing as a banana tree. Bananas grow on plants.
- Bananas are not grown commercially in the continental United States. They are grown in Latin and South America from countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Colombia, Honduras, Panama and Guatemala.
- Bananas are available all year-round. They are harvested every day of the year.